Monday, September 12, 2011

My Love & Hate Relationship.

Love.
So... I wanted to spill my guts about how I feel about a particular thing, which is a constant love in my life while in Argentina... that is...SPANISH or Argentine Castellano, which pronounced, caste-SH-ano, is significantly different from all other forms of Castellano (this means Spanish language). Unlike the Castellano spoken in Argentina other Latin American countries like Mexico, Chile, and Spain for instance, the "ll" makes a "ye" sound instead of a "sh" sound. For instance, the verb llover in most places is pronounced "Yeo-ver" and here in Argentina it is pronounced "Sho-ver".
One can definitely say it's quite peculiar...

Is Argentina trying to copy the Italy???

Is Argentina trying to get massive attention for pronouncing regular Spanish words strangely?

I, believe, now being apart of/ having the Porteño lifestyle (a Porteño is a person that live in Buenos Aires) that Argentina is being Argentina. They are not mimicking anyone or trying to get notice by the world. Within the rich history of Argentina and the mixing of cultures from Europe and the indigenous people this interesting, different, and refreshing caste-SH-ano appeared.

Some other differences in Argentina Castellano from other Castellano is using the Vos from. However, please do not get confuse Vos with Vosotros. When speaking in the 2nd person singular from usually a person would say "Tú" but in Argentina, they use "Vos". In addition, conjugating is slightly different as well.
Examples:Vos comés – tú comes, Vos querés – Tú quieres, Vos hablás – Tú hablas
In Vos, the emphasis is on the last syllable of the verb which is why an accent is added. Also the stem changing verbs like querer, do not change in vos from. I just wanted to share some of my knowledge about this amazing culture I have come to love.

Hate.
Listen, I'm going to be real with y'all. Most days I get so damn fed up with Spanish.
People talking to me in Spanish...
Me trying to talk in Spanish...
Hearing the word "Spanish" even ticks me off!

Sometimes, I will just come home exhausted from the long day of classes. And I'll just want to listen to my music (mostly in English) and drown out ALLLLL the Spanish spoken around me. I hate the fact, I am not able to understand people once I have add a question in Spanish. I also hate the fact that sometimes can't add anything... I said anything...to a conversation if my host parents or any family comes over.
Sooooo infuriating! I hit a wall, so many walls and it feels like I can't climb/jump/grapple/whatever over the dang thing!!!! ughhhhhhhhh!

I hate not being able to speak/understand simple Spanish like if a person were to ask you "Hey! How was your day?" Or "What are you plans for the weekend?" There are some many ways to say one thing it is very difficult to remember all the way. Sometimes I even get lost in the translating in my head and there will be one few word I don't know which causes me to be stumped. Many days, I don't even want to try...or give anything thought toward... that word...
Something I found out while studying here in Argentina, is that when a person has class that is spoken in another language it forces your brain (usually) to focus more since you may not understand. Unlike in English spoken classes, an US breed American would have to been dosing off and not even paying attention (this happens not just with me but a lot of my friend). Now, since my brain is being forced to focus more... it just becomes a huge OVERLOAD.

Then I start to scream inside...
shouting random cuss words...
become just cold and get irritated easily...
I feel overwhelmed and can't help to think...I'm not cut out for this.

Learn.
All this said and done, I try to remember a quote my Aunt Lori wrote in a card she sent me.

"There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there; you most go beyond them." -Bruce Lee

Lesson 101: Sometimes all you can do is "keep on, keeping on" when things like life, homework, relationships, family, friends, work and especially language get tough. One must have that faith that your headed in the right direction and moving forward. That is all one can hope for as well. My love/hate relationship with Castellano may be frustrating A LOT of the time but if I keep on trying something will give and it won't be me.
Now this is when someone says "Mira vos" which is the equivalent to "Well, look at you!" :D

No comments:

Post a Comment